29 September Daily Announcements

Good morning Bobcats! Today is Wednesday, September 29, 2021.

Homecoming voting is up on Blackboard through Thursday September 30. Please vote! Homecoming tickets are on sale at all lunches! Tickets cost $25.

Hispanic Heritage month is here, and the World Languages department would like to share some amazing facts about the countries that composed the Hispanic speaking world. At the end of each presentation, we will announce a trivia question, and the first person to go to Sra. Duque with the correct answer during the transition from 2nd to 3rd period will get a price. Sra. Duque is in Building 7 room 207.

Our first country is Colombia! Colombia’s capital is Bogota and their language is of course Spanish. The country’s population is 50.34 million and it has an area of 441,200 square miles. Their currency is Colombian Pesos and the climate is generally tropical, but it can vary depending on the altitude (it has all weathers at any time of the year). Colombia is the second most biodiverse country in the world, number 1 in emerald exports, has a beautiful river with the colors of the rainbow and has more than 30 different kinds of exotic fruits. Main touristic destinations are Cartagena, Medellin, Bogota and the coffee axis. Colombian food is among the best, with their delicious arepas, empanadas and bandejas paisas. Main sports are Soccer, skating, cycling and tejo. Famous Colombians are soccer player James Rodriguez, singer Shakira, and painter Fernando Botero. One important celebration is “dia de las velitas” on which people light candles outside their homes to celebrate the day of the virgin Mary.

And now trivia time: who is one famous Colombian I just named?

Remember. Bring your answer during the next transition to Sra. Duque at 7-207

Bolivia

· Bolivia is a country in South America and its capital is La Paz.

· Spanish and 4 indigenous languages are Bolivia’s official languages, but more than 32 indigenous languages are spoken.

· The country’s population is approximately 11.87 million. It has an area of 424,200 square miles.

· The currency is Bolivian boliviano.

· The climate is diverse due to the different types of landscape.

· Some interesting facts about Bolivia are:

o The most important export products are natural gas, silver and zinc.

o The highest peak is Nevado Sajama which is an extinct volcano.

· Main touristic destinations are Isla del Sol for exploring ancient Inca ruins, and Amboró National Park, famous for its flora and fauna.

· Some typical Bolivian foods and snack dishes are Sopa de maní (peanut soup), and Saltenas (pastries feel with meat, eggs, olives or other ingredients).

· Soccer is the most popular sport in Bolivia.

· One important celebration is Virgen de la Candelaria – 2 to 5th February – Copacabana. Every year, thousands of Bolivians, tourists and visitors make a pilgrimage to the sparkling shores of vast Lake Titicaca and to the nearby

village of Copacabana to celebrate this holiday, which merges both traditional Catholic beliefs with ancient Andean traditions.

· One famous person from Bolivia is Jaime Escalante -Teacher. He was a Bolivian educator well known for teaching students calculus from 1974 to 1991 at Garfield High School, East Los Angeles, California.

Trivia question: What are Bolivia’s main export products?

Seniors!

All seniors should have received cap and gown ordering information.  If you need to watch the presentation, it is in the Class of 2022 Blackboard along with a QR code & link for ordering.  See Mrs. Thomas in 4-113 with questions.

Sports!

There will be a Girls Weightlifting meeting after tomorrow in room 5-114, any girl interested in girls weightlifting should attend. If you have any questions, see Coach Egloff or Coach Miller.

On Friday October 1, FCA the Fellowship of Christian Athletes will meet during all lunches. The location is room 1-203 in the Media Center. Pizza is provided.

After School!

Future Educators and those interested in education, there will be an FFEA meeting today in room 5-107 from 2:30-3:15.   We need to finalize block party plans and elect officers!

After School tutoring in the media center is available from Monday through Thursday each week.

On Wednesday after school, TSA the Technology Student Association meets in room 4-106 and Anime Club meets in room 8-214.

ACT/SAT tutoring will happen every Thursday in room 8-205 from 2:30 – 4:00 for any student wanting to raise his or her test score or to obtain an FSA concordant score

Remember, if you want to ride the late bus Monday through Thursday, you must sign in at the media center by 2:30pm. Then, be at the PAC parking lot to catch the bus by 4:45pm.

North Port Works, North Port Wins! Go Bobcats! Have a great day and be your Bobcat Best!