NJROTC Academic Team 2, competing, representing North Port High School

OPENING BRAIN BRAWL OF THE 2021 ACADEMIC SEASON HOSTED BY “GAITHER HIGH SCHOOL” IN TAMPA

October 4, 2021

Cadet Kevin Dufresne proudly displaying his First Place Medal, which he earned in the Brain Brawl Individual All Star competition, competing against more than 160 cadets. (Commander Barnes)

On Saturday the 25th of September North Port High School NJROTC competed in their first Brain Brawl of the 2021 Academic season.

Team 2 led by Cadet Austin Nottingham, Cadet Emilie Battle, Cadet Jordan Wager, Cadet Ashley and Cadet Mason Voss. The team got off to a very slow but good start as they quickly turned things around when newest addition to the team, Cadet Mason Voss stepped up and went on a serious winning streak, answering 3 straight tough questions for the team and getting 3 of the 4 bonus points answered correctly, qualifying the team for the quarter-finals.

Cadet Emilie Battle was the anchor of the team as she consistently keep the team in a position to be successful, while Cadets Jordan Wager and Ashley Stackhouse provided huge moral and encouraging support by alternating positions making some amazing contributions, showing no fear as this was their first time competing. Job very well. Go Bob Cats!

Team 2 barely made it through the first three rounds, gaining lots experience and eventually finding their grove, in the quarter-finals round. The team demonstrated tremendous knowledge, discipline and team spirit. Overall the Team 2 Placed 21 of 32 teams.

Academic Team 1 was on full display, while representing in its first Academic Brain Brawl Competition of 2021, at Gaither High School.

Gaither hosted the first Academic Brain Brawl competition of the 2021 season, in all 23 different high schools were represented by 32 teams for the competition. This was the first live competition since COVID 19. Gaither did a wonderful job hosting, ensuring all sanitary and mask mandates rules were followed. NPHS entered two teams in the competition, Team 1 was led by Cadet Austin Nottingham and Team 2 was led by Cadet Kevin Dufresne who took 1st place in the Individual Brain Brawl All-Star competition over 160 Cadets, bringing the first place medal home to the Bob Cats. Team 1 members are Cadet Danny Gonzales, Cadet Nicoli Cimmino, Cadet Alexa Cortes and Cadet Grant Knauer. Team 1 placed 4th of the 32 teams competing in the first 3 rounds of competition, falling short in the semi-final round. The cadets had an awesome time competing and gained lots of knowledge while creating new relationships with cadets from all over the state of Florida.

Commander Barnes