Information on Tutoring schedule and after school bus information!

Managing Midterm Exams

December 10, 2021

Midterm exams are right around the corner beginning on Friday, December 17 and ending on Wednesday, December 22. The first semester is coming to a close quickly and it is important to end it strong by doing great on your midterms. Exam time can be very stressful and studying skills are important during this time of year. Below are some studying tips you may want to try for midterm exam season!

Create a Study Guide

Study guides are great ways to review all the information learned so far in the school year in a quick and efficient way. Some teachers may provide study guides they have pre-made, but if not, it may be more helpful for your learning to create your own. Make the study guide personalized to you, and what will help you remember the information. Be sure to highlight key information in your study guide! This can help you reference information even faster and makes studying a whole lot easier.

Form a Study Group

Who says you have to study alone? Study groups are a great way to retain information in a fun way. If you and your friends feel you need extra help in the same class, get together and study the class material. Take turns quizzing each other on concepts to enhance your knowledge as a group. Study groups are an overlooked, but great way to study for midterm exams.

Ask Questions

Asking questions may seem like a simple way to obtain knowledge, but sometimes, it is overlooked. Students may additionally be too scared to speak up when they need the help. Teachers are there to answer your questions to clear up any confusion or even for clarification. Do not be afraid to speak up when you have a question! It is a very important way to learn by engaging and asking questions.

Make a Schedule

Set time aside to study each day. Having a scheduled time for studying will establish it into your daily routine, to make sure you get the studying time necessary. Using supplies such as a planner, notepad, or a reminder on your phone to specify a time for yourself to study is a great way to remind yourself to do so.

Attend After-School Tutoring

North Port High provides an after-school tutoring program for students Monday-Thursday from 2:15 to 5:00 PM. Bus transportation is available for students staying afterschool for tutoring. This is a great way to set aside time, focus on studying for exams, and catch up on work. Use this to your advantage this midterm exam season!

Get Studying!

Make your exams easier on yourself and make sure that you take the time to study. Pick the studying technique that most appeals to you and set time aside in your day to get the studying done! This will benefit your stress, as well as your grades. Finish the first semester strong by doing amazing on your midterm!

After-School Study Hall

At North Port High School, many students struggle to find time to finish work- Be it distractions at home, or a lack of access to the internet, the homework burden can become overbearing for many. However, the school has a solution in the form of a tutoring program. The program runs from 2:30 to 4:30 in the school’s library and has a different topic each day for students to get tutored on.

On the 13th of December, the topic was mathematics. After a log-in process requiring a name and student id number, students gathered in the library, mostly in the computer area, and did math homework. Most of the tutors were students, as well as a few teachers who helped coach those who needed it. There also seemed to be another downstairs area, perhaps a computer lab, but I was not able to access it during my time there.

The program is held every other day- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It is open to any NPHS student if they have a student N number and a name. There was no sign-out process, just a sign-in. Students could leave at any time during the study hall, but 4:30 was the latest time to stay. There was no provided transportation afterwards, and students were provided nothing more than a place to work and assistance if needed. There was very little moderation present, but teachers were still there to monitor activity.