14 February Daily Announcements

Good morning Bobcats! Today is Monday February 14, 2022.  

Happy Valentine’s Day! 

Juniors, you have to take Government and Economics next year, why not earn college credits taking AP US Government & Macroeconomics?  The Advanced Placement Program (AP) offers students the opportunity to take college-level courses and exams in high school and earn college credit. Taking AP helps students prepare for college and stand out in the admissions process. Completing the course and exam shows perseverance to tackle/complete college-level work. Exposure to advanced coursework increases graduation and college-going rates. Research shows that students who take AP courses and exams have better college outcomes than their peers who don’t take AP. The latest findings also indicate the value of scores beyond earning college credit.   By earning college credit in high school and skipping introductory courses in college, you save time and money as you focus on your college major.   

Half of the students entering four-year colleges are now starting school with some credit from AP courses. This is your opportunity to ensure you have the advantage. 

Trying to figure out which elective you should take next year? Look no further! You will experience writing in a non FSA format where you are free to write while listening to music, and writing about objects, looking at nature to name a few. In the first quarter, we participate in NPR’s This I Believe Essay activity. We create a safe classroom culture or discussion is the norm and it is positive.  In quarter two, we use Cat in the Hat to take a look at characterization. Also, we analyze Kate Chopin’s Story of an Hour and watch a few student clips to compare the versions. The rest of the time is spent on a creative writing project of your choice! There is no homework. We do it all in class! If you don’t like to write/ type, I have found ways to include technology into all of the assignments. In short, even if you don’t like to write, this elective is for you!

On Wednesday in the Student Success Center, SCF, the State College of Florida, will be hosting a Free Application workshop during all lunch periods. Use the discount code FreeAppFeb to save on the Application fee! 

Any student interested in joining Theatre Arts VPA, please see Ms. Henderson for an application and audition times and information.  Applications are due by February 25th 

Prom – A Starry Night will be held on April 30 at The Venice Community Center. Keep an eye on these announcements for more details. 

Seniors!

Attention all VPA Seniors. Our 2022 Senior VPA Showcase will be held on March 23rd with a dress rehearsal on March 22nd. If you are interested in applying to display your work or perform, please use the link posted here and submit your application before February 28th. If you should have any questions, please feel free to stop by Mrs. Slays classroom 1-210 or send her an email. 

Order those cap and gowns! Order through Jostens or scan the QR code on the screen. Everyone needs a tassel and medallion package. Email Mrs. Thomas if you have any questions. Deadline to order to guarantee on-time delivery is April 1. Late fees apply. 

Senior Panoramic Photo: February 18th at 7:45am. Check in with first period before reporting to the gym. Dress code strictly enforced. 

Clubs!

Tuesday there will be DFY Catch in 5-216 at 6:45am. 

Wednesday is a busy day for clubs! National Honor Society will meet at 7am in 8-114, and in the afternoon we have Anime Club in 8-214, Philosophy Club in 8-201, and Florida Future Educators in 5-107. 

Thursday afternoon will be the first meeting of the Filmmaking club in 8-204, True Colors GSA in 7-209, as well as K-Pop club in 5-101. 

As always, on Fridays you can find FCA in the TEL Studio during lunches. 

North Port Works, North Port Wins! Have a great day and be your Bobcat Best!